Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Art


Art is a risky deal. Wars happen; economies fail; and we spend so much energy trying to control what’s around us. Art is part of that control. We furnish our lives and homes with beautiful things to create a cushion of support and stability. Art is the illusion of a cohesive past, the promise of an unclouded future. Art is aesthetically pleasing; art is a meaningful arrangement of colors, shapes, values, textures, and spaces. It expresses the forms of human activity whose chief character is determined by such arrangements as painting, sculpture, drawings, and pleasure.


Consequently, art plays many roles in our civilization and involves the encouragement of free self-expression. Expression of creative skill and imagination from humans, especially through a visual medium, explores varieties of visual delights that bring out instinctive pleasure in which we can enjoy the everyday experience. Culture is the condition of refinement. It develops in specific stages or periods during the evolution of a civilization. Arts cultivate the soul and culture of human intellectual achievement through collective cultural understanding. Photography developed from the earliest art form, the European cave drawings. Perhaps I am going far back in time but it is the idea to take pictures that represent life as it is. Photography is a modern version of painting. It is an expression which lays in my inner-self, deep inside me. I have struggled with my buried self, dug deep and lifted it out leading/yielding to my art. These emotions are the fuel that drive my photography. Without this drive I am uncertain that I will create anything of substance. The worst thing that could happen to a photographer is being discouraged. There are so many great works all around me; I have to admit, that sometimes I think I will never come close to producing such great pictures.


However, there are days when I tell myself not to cast sidelong glances and compare myself to these great masters. The satisfaction lies in the effort and to reveal great images after hours or sometimes even days of work will lead to sweet rewards.We are living with more art than we can think we do. Most walls of homes are decorated with paintings, sculptures, and photographs. We buy them, because we find them beautiful and meaningful.


We look around and take pleasure from all the artworks and modern creations. Our search for meaning through our devotion for decoration and aesthetic pleasures is only another part of our paradoxical nature that simultaneously construct culture while being composed by culture. The sensory world that the individual creates and inhabits impacts the larger collective culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment